(I explained the BB Cream phenomenon here, in case you missed it…)
Drumroll please…….. Dr. Jart’s Premium Beauty Balm is my favorite BB cream! Granted, I haven’t had the chance to try all of the BB creams out there (I think a new one comes out every week at least), but this one is still a serious gem.
Not only can this BB cream replace my tinted moisturizer or foundation, it provides moisture, SPF protection, and it primes! If I’m using this instead of foundation and primer, it can cut my getting-ready time by at least ten minutes. That means I can hit snooze if I want!
Dr. Jart’s Premium Beauty Balm is lightweight, but still provides a great amount of coverage (even more coverage than a high-coverage tinted moisturizer like Laura Mercier’s). I’ll use one pump to even everything out, and then another half-pump or so to build up coverage on my cheeks, nose, chin, and to blend into my neck. If I have a breakout or some red patches, I’ll do some extra concealing with a full-coverage concealer. But on good to semi-good skin days, I don’t even need concealer. Then I finish with blush and/or bronzer, highlighter (on a good day), and a setting or mattifying powder. Blush or bronzer is a must with this stuff because the BB cream really evens you out and you need to add color back in, lest you look pasty!
The finish is dewy and fresh without being too wet. I’ve noticed that powder is definitely essential to take down the dewiness in the T-zone, but that’s something you can easily add later as a touch-up. If Dr. Jart’s color is too light for you, pick a pressed or loose foundation powder that matches your skintone and just use that to set the Beauty Balm (Laura Mercier makes a good one, and Sephora offers an affordable option). Tarte also makes a bronzing setting powder that I’ve used over the BB cream for those with skin on the medium side. And remember, you can always add a little foundation over BB creams, since it also acts as a primer.
The first few times I used Dr. Jart’s Beauty Balm I got really dewy in the late afternoon (it also was summer, so hotter and more humid than normal). It was a little wet for my taste. Only later did I realize that this product can replace your regular moisturizer, as long as you’re not super dry. Cutting out the extra moisture made a huge difference! Now that I live in the mountains and it’s winter, I added the moisturizer back in, and it works great. Experiment to figure out what works for your skin.
So, to summarize, here’s what I love about Dr. Jart’s Premium Beauty Balm:
- Perfect amount of hydration
- Anti-aging/skincare ingredients (rare for makeup)
- Smooth texture — it doesn’t ball up or provide patchy coverage, and it’s so buttery soft you can just blend with your fingers
- Perfecting — it floats over pores and uneven texture, giving the appearance of smoothness
- Pigment that matches my fair skin (which rarely happens with a one-size-fits-all product) and covers well
- High-protection mineral sunblock (SPF 45) which provides natural, broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- All the products it combines and replaces (AM moisturizer, facial sunscreen, primer, foundation, tinted moisturizer)
- The compliments! I get tons of them when I use it.
Do yourself a favor and try this amazing, low-maintenance, all-in-one product! Buy it here at Sephora (it’s $39).